Wednesday, 26 March 2014
The Effects (Continued and expanded)
This is a fuller and more formalised version a previous post, with a lot of stuff added. This one is arranged for eventual inclusion in Veins.
Physical changes can take days or even weeks to come to fruition, but they begin on the roll.
Still not sure if this should apply to dwarves and elves or just humans. One idea was that Dwarves become more like Duergar or Derro and Elves become more Drowish.
In the game I am thinking that PC’s will be hunted by the Rapture, a kind of animate madness. If they are driven mad by it and survive, they roll on the table below.
1-5. Paranoia. You know that a fellow PC is hiding something from you. XP freeze until you force them to reveal it.
6-10. Rage. You can no longer control your resentment and suspicion. XP freeze till you physically and directly harm a team mate. Until you commit this action the DM may force it upon on the failure of any roll.
11-13.Weight obsession. You must find a way to reduce your load. Throw something away or drastically alter its form to reduce its weight.
14-16. You now lie half awake and hallucinate instead of dreaming. Name your most common vision. If rolled twice you can create this vision in darkness, casting it as an illusion spell by having a brief conversion with the target. If thrice the vision will appear in your ‘waking’ hours and call you. If four times, you must obey.
17-18. If you wake up in darkness, you remember exactly where you went to sleep, the precise dimensions of the enclosing space, and the exact location of every nearby object. You will not need to fumble for your sword or search to locate an exit you have seen.
19-20. Any sense of claustrophobia is gone. You do not fear any enclosed space, no matter how long you are there, in fact you prefer it. Your memory of the sun is gone. You may not refer to it or describe it.
21. You can identify blood by taste. The species and, if you have tasted it before, the individual. Roll twice and you must identify any blood by taste.
22. Your pupils are permanently dilated to their maximum extent. Add 10ft to the distance you can see. You are easily blinded.
23-25. Each time you roll this, go down to the next lightest skin pigmentation. The last three are Caucasian, Albino, Translucent. (Elves respond differently to deep earth radiations, their skin gets darker not lighter.)
26. Your immune system has collapsed. You have no save vs disease. You must trade with the Myconids for a symbiotic fungal replacement.
27-28. Lose the hair from your body, or head. (Elves do not lose hair, instead it turns white.)
29-30. Hyper-sensitive skin. You no longer like to wear clothes. With naked skin you can sense the movement of air around you. 50% naked you can sense the size of cave around you. 90% the size of the local system. 100% and you can sense local movement, the rough size and speed of things moving in the cave.
31-32. Subconscious sonar. You compulsively click your tongue to discover the distance of nearby surfaces. You can scan for solid objects within 50ft. It is hard for you to stop doing this.
33-34. You hunger for silence. The rhythm of your conversations slows imperceptibly. You breathe out single words. Shouting becomes intolerable, even in times of danger. You must pass a WIS test to raise your voice.
35-36. Osteocytes. You begin to develop frills and ridges of bone upon your skull. These extend through the skin. They may be horns, ridges, spikes or something else. the more you roll this result the more elaborate they become.
37-38. Your finger bones lengthen and crook permanently. This provides a tireless hold while climbing and increases your ascent speed. You have difficulty doing fine work.
39-41. Your time sense erodes without any realisation; your wake-sleep cycle extends from 24 hours to 48 if rolled twice, then to 72. You do not notice this
42-43. Respiration and digestion slow when still. If doing nothing you can go 30 seconds between breaths. You barely need food if all you do is wait.
44-45. Your breathing becomes silent. If you were next to someone, they would feel your breath on their face before hearing it.
46-47. You no-longer trust paper as it decays too fast. You start to tattoo your knowledge and maps onto your skin. Your self-developed code is shorter than writing and means your flayed skin would be useless as a map for others. A clever trick, you think. You start with your forearms and thighs then spiral out.
48-49. You can taste lies on someone’s breath as they speak. You must be within kissing distance.
50-51. You compulsively sharpen your teeth.
52-53. There is a darkness in your belly. When you scream, deliberately or not, a minor darkness spell is cast, from your mouth for the duration of the scream.
54-55. You must name any flame that you light. You must speak to them as if they were people. They take up a retainer spot. They have a morale. They may keep watch for you. They may also betray you.
56-57. Scent identity is now more real to you than visual identity. If separated from your friends, you will not fully recognise them till you smell them all over.
58-59. You no longer recognise own racial nature. You regard yourself as “other”. You gain no bonuses when communicating with your own race.
60-63. You must make a WIS test to avoid compulsive consumption of your fallen foes if they are of animal intelligence, if rolled twice, named beings, if thrice, even your own species.
64. Your eyelids become translucent, you are hard to surprise if sleeping but easy to blind.
65-67. Your limbs and torso grow subtly longer yet retain the same mass. At first gangly (10%), if rolled twice, freakish (20%), if thrice, trollish (30%) and you go up a size category.
68. Your vision spectrum drops into a deeper shade of red. You gain infravision but blue is now simply black to you. If you had infravision, you can now see vague x-ray glows.
69. Mask-hunger. You become obsessed with protecting your image. Make a mask and wear it continually.
70. When you are not exerting yourself your body temperature drops to the ambient temperature of the environment. You cannot die from hypothermia. Neither can you warm others who are suffering. You may seem dead when you sleep.
71. Shadows are portals from which you can be watched. You cannot sleep or relax in shadow. You need complete darkness. You can often spot illusions by watching their shadows.
72. In absolute silence, just on the edge of hearing, you can hear the darkness speaking with itself. You do not like this. Learning its language is harder than any human tongue. Its discussions may be beyond you.
73. Reflections are enemy selves. You will avoid them if you can and never discuss important business in front of them.
74. Rapid protein conversion. You can gorge on meat to add 1 STR for HD consumed. So all of a 1hd creature, half a 2hd creature one 10th of a 10hd creature, etc. The bonus lasts till sleep.
75. Always hungry -1 CHA unless just eaten. Can smell food on people if it is hidden.
76-78. Your nails thicken, and extend, they become d3 weapons. If rolled twice, d4 weapons. If thrice d6 weapons and are now claws, you will have difficulty with fine work.
79. You must name any rope you own and speak to them as if they were people. They take up a retainer spot. They have a morale. You can command them to unknot, they may inform you if they are damaged or not well secured, the may also betray you.
80. You can and must use Speak with Air as daily power.
81. Bone collector. Every enemy you kill has one bone waiting for you, take it and wrap it carefully.
82. Riddlemaster. You cannot refuse a riddle challenge. In appropriate circumstances you may riddle and gain bonuses to social situations.
83. Flayer Smell. You can and must smell psionic influence. The smell is as slight as a cup of coffee but you will sense it if you get close enough.
84-86. Magic Sense. Tip your head back, spread arms, close eyes, roll jaw and moan to detect magic. You will feel it in your teeth if it is there.
85. You gain a sense for the silent tongue. If you see dwellers using it you can get a good feel for the general tone and can spot simple words.
86. Secrets. You horde them. Must pas WIS test to willingly communicate any secret thing. For instance, the location of a secret door you just found, a letter you picked up, the last words of a foe.
87. Cloaker Totem. Build one and wear it continually. You believe this will protect you. It will. Once per level, in life threatening circumstances, it will act with the powers of a normal cloaker under your control
88-89. Face blind. You can’t remember faces till you stroke them.
90-91. Tectonic dreams. Just before you fall asleep you can hear the murmuring of Earth Elementals, you can gradually learn that language.
92. Ghost warden. You fear the spirits of those you have killed. Build, or obtain, an amulet to imprison them. Record them all. If it breaks or is lost, they may get free. (5% chance true per Ghost)
93. Magnetic sense. Iron in the rock will stop you reliably sensing North, but it can aid you in navigation nonetheless. Especially if blinded. Worked metal is like a burning torch to you. It can blind you if close enough. You don’t like carrying metal weapons.
94-95. Blood change. Your blood becomes an odourless, tasteless clear gel. It is hard to track you. If your skin is already translucent then your bones are almost visible through the cloudy flesh.
96-97. Poison Absorber. Poison still affects you as normal, but if you survive it, your body will hang on to the dose. You can transmit it via biting.
98-99. Water Sense. You can taste emissions from upstream in moving water. Anything pissing or bleeding within half a mile upstream.
100. You lose all desire to return to the surface. You belong here now.