Sunday 20 May 2012

Hey... I'm your cha'DIch

I was going to write a long argument in favour of Lawful Good. I have a friend who is essentially Lawful Good in real life, he doesn't think it's cool enough.

The way I see it, Bad Guys play Life with the setting on easy. Lawful Good is expert level.

But I got side tracked by Worf/Picard quotes.

You'd think having two lawful good characters talking to each other would be boring but in reality it's like they are constantly daring each other to be even more good and even more lawful. It's fucking boss.

Don't blame me for knowing you so well.

Picard: Well, I know that I am an old man and I am out of touch. But the Worf that I remember was more concerned with things like honor and loyalty than rules and regulations. But that was a long time ago, and maybe you're not the Worf I once knew.

[Worf curses in Klingon]

Worf: You have always used your knowledge of Klingon honor and tradition to get what you want from me.

Picard: Because it always works, Worf! Your problem is that you really *do* have a sense of honor, and you really *do* care about trust and loyalty. Don't blame me for knowing you so well.  

For me to seek escape when my Captain goes into battle...

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Now hear this: printout message, urgent, all stations on all decks. Prepare for emergency saucer sep. You will command the saucer section, Lieutenant.

Lieutenant Worf: I'm a Klingon, sir. For me to seek escape when my Captain goes into battle...

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: You are a Starfleet officer, Lieutenant!

Lieutenant Worf: Aye, sir. 

Worf's question is valid

Lieutenant Worf: What gives them the right to enter Federation space?

Commander Tebok: Silence your dog, Captain!

Capt. Picard: Lt. Worf's question is valid.

some of the things I said

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Mr. Worf... I regret some of the things I said to you earlier.

Lt. Commander Worf: Some?

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: In fact, I think you're the bravest man I have ever known.

You would do no less for me

Lieutenant Worf: The family of a Klingon warrior is responsible for his actions, and he is responsible for theirs. If I fail in my challenge, I will be executed. - Will you grant my leave, Captain?

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: No. If I understand correctly, a Starfleet officer, a respected member of my crew, could be accused of a capital crime. Your actions in this matter will reflect on this ship and on the Federation. Therefore, it seems only appropriate that your Captain should be at your side while you make your challenge. I'm sure you would do no less for me.


Oh Lieutenant
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Lieutenant - sometimes, the moral obligations of command are less than clear. I have to weigh the good of the many against the needs of the individual, and try to balance them as realistically as possible. God knows, I don't always succeed.

Lieutenant Worf: I have not had cause to complain, Captain.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Oh. Lieutenant, you wouldn't complain even if you had cause.

Hey... I'm your cha'DIch

 [Picard informs Worf that he will go into the city's old quarter to look for Kahlest]

Lieutenant Worf: It is too dangerous. You must not go alone.
 
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Hey... I'm your cha'DIch.

3 comments:

  1. "...in reality it's like they are constantly daring each other to be even more good and even more lawful" is the key, I think. Good and lawful people have higher natures to be appealed to, and I tend to portray their actions and interpersonal conduct as being like a true friend in the Nicomachean Ethics, where they constantly push one to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet there is Picard/Worf slash fiction on the net.

    But anyway, great post. It makes me want to be a Lawful Good character.

    ReplyDelete