"Not exactly sure why he drug politics into it...oh, wait, yes I do. My recollection of that guy, before I blocked him on G+ years ago, is that he drags politics/social issues into just about every damn thing. I just want to blather about D&D without hearing the loons from the right or left pushing their agendas, you know what I mean?
Having said that, it looks pretty accurate, from a particular OSR point of view, I suppose. "
Monday, 14 November 2011
How are you friends with this dude?
This was intended to be a sub-table to roll on if you roll yourself a friend during character generation. On looking back, most of the friend and allies already have a reason for being your friend. The game assumes that is you become someone’s enemy, only then do you need a special reason.
I wanted to make it because in most situations chaos and entropy get most of the glamour and creative energy. I also wanted to think about the kind of events and states that might lead to people becoming friends.
So this may not work. I suppose you could use is to roll on as addendum to the friend table if it made sense. (I don't think you really need to roll to see why your parent is your friend.) It could also be used instead of the main table.
Where there is a '/' that can mean 'or' but also 'and' if you like.
Here is a table of probably-redundant friendship-inciting incidents and states.
How are you friends with this dude?*
1. This dude saw you keep your shit together in a bad situation when everyone else was losing theirs. Respect to the nerve.
2. A powerful figure put you in a dangerous place and threatened your weakest point. You stared them down. This dude is the only one who knows you were bluffing.
3. You took advantage of a complex and rapidly changing situation before anyone else, This dude was the only other person to notice the same thing.
4. You told a joke at an important meeting/social gathering. This dude was the only other person to laugh. (If your character has no sense of humour then someone else told the joke and you and this dude were the only people not to laugh.)
5. This dude likes your attitude towards cybernetics/weapons, You respect their personal clothing style and wish you could carry off the same thing. (or visa versa)
6. This dudes taste in music/books/fiction is 95% the same as yours. If you've been watching/reading/thinking about something then there's a good chance they have as well. You argue constantly about the remaining 5%
7. This dude is a ghost that you invented. They were net-hacked and their I.D was totally expunged. You helped them get back on their feet and set them up with a new identity on the system. It could be argued that legally they no longer exist.
8. This dude was your closest challenger in a ruthless competition. You were neck-and-neck when you realised the game was corrupt. Even though you were far ahead of the rest, you both quit at the same time. Now you compete with each other instead.
9. You hated this dude for years and you thought they hated you. But when things went to shit and the children were trapped you both looked up to realise that only one other person had stayed behind to help.
10. You recognised each other through your work. This dude is the only other person to really understand what you're all about (and if you're a bastard, to still like you), you have corresponded but never met.
*Not sex-specific, girls are also dudes in the dark future