Saturday 28 November 2015

FotVH Stat attempts

Here are some experimental attempts at starting up monsters from Fire on the Velvet Horizon, what do you think?



ABHORRERS

OLD-SCHOOL

Armour leather, Move 20', 8 Hit Dice, 48hp, bite 1d6 damage, Morale 12.

No law or social custom can be broken in the Abhorrers presence. No illegal harm can be done to an Abhorrer.

Treasure - Assume an Abhorrer controls wealth equivalent to at least a third-tier noble in the local polity. If no value can be derived, assume 100,000 total wealth with 50% available as cash and 20,000 in stealable form on its person or in its home.

5E

Abhorrer - AC 12, HP 50, Spd. 20ft, bite +1, 1d6 dm, xp = population of local metropolitan area.

S+0/D+0/C+0/I+6*/W+4/C+7*

An Abhorrer always has the best protection that money can legally buy. However, it is rarely required.

........................................



AESKITHETES

OLD SCHOOL

Armour as plate, Move 30', 6 Hit Dice, 36 hp, tentacles d4/d4 damage or as weapon, Morale 10.

Fearful Masks - On first sight save vs petrification or lose a round of action. In social situations, freeze and stammer before you can speak. If the masks are removed, the Aeskithetes real face is even more terrifying, in this case save or lose two rounds of action.

Vomit Bile - 2d8 acidic damage.

Disappear - If seriously deeply distracted, or at will, an Aeskithete may disappear. If they do, they will not return.

Dimensional Magics - Using dimensional magic is a full action for an Aeskithete and a living target may save against it. The more powerful an Aeskithete is the more of its limbs it can functionally control and the greater the range of its dimensional magics.

Limbs active,   Hit Dice, hp, mass affectable, size shift, distance teleport, time travel

2 limbs active, 6 Hit Dice, 36hp, 1 square foot, 100% + or -, 6 ft, 1 second.

4 limbs active, 8 Hit Dice, 48hp, 2 square feet, 200% + or -, 12 ft, 6 seconds.

6 limbs active, 10 Hit Dice, 60hp, 6 square feet, 300% + or -, 24 ft, 18 seconds.

10 HD Aeskithetes can cast Dermal Imprisonment in which a target is shrunk to microscopic size and imprisoned on their own skin.

Aeskithetes encountered randomly will be 6HD creatures, for every six present, one will be 8HD. 10HD Aeskithetes are only met with under special circumstances.


5E

Aeskithete - AC 18, HP 46, Spd. 30ft, TENTACLE +2, 1d4+1 dm, 600 xp

S+2*/D+0/C+3*/I+2/W+0/C+1

Fearful Mask - On first sight DC 15 Wis save or lose a round of action. In social situations, freeze and stammer before you can speak. If the masks are removed, the Aeskithetes real face is even more terrifying, in this case save or lose two rounds of action.

Vomit Bile - Range 10ft 1 target, DC 11 Dex save, 2d8 dm if fail, ½ if save.

Limbs active,   hp, DC if target live, mass affectable, size shift, distance teleport, time travel

2 limbs active, 46hp, DC 10 Int save, 1 square foot, 100% + or -, 6 ft, 1 second.

4 limbs active, 60hp, DC 13 Int save, 2 square feet, 200% + or -, 12 ft, 6 seconds.

6 limbs active, 72hp, DC 17 Int save, 6 square feet, 300% + or -, 24 ft, 18 seconds.

6 limb Aeskithetes can cast Dermal Imprisonment in which a target is shrunk to microscopic size and imprisoned on their own skin. DC 17 Int save.

10 comments:

  1. I think: 'Yes please, do my work for me'.

    On the other (more compassionate, more in line with the spirit of creation) hand, is it OK to stat them up and maybe post them? I think it would be a really valid project to get some interpretations down here. I can't see it affecting anyone purchasing FotVH, since prospective buyers will have no idea what anyone's on about.

    Of course, I'm late to this whole blog malarkey and I get the sense the glory years of the People's Blog Movement might be finished. So am I being too optimistic? I'll happily contribute a few.

    That is unless...you DO intend to shoulder the stat boulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free if you want to have a crack at it. (I might re-write whatever you do.)

      Pick a letter and do the monsters for it, let me know which one so we don't clash,

      My aim is to make the completed thing a freely-available 'living document' so if people learn stuff from running them then I can update the stats.

      Delete
    2. Ok, finally got my copy in front of me. I'll take 'C', thanks. Twist, alter and/or destroy as you see fit mighty Demiurge. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Speaking of FotVH, any chance of a PDF version? I've brought this up back when the book was released, and now I'm seriously considering buying a second copy just to tear it apart and scan it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also be very interested in this - I just don't really buy physical copies of books anymore, I prefer to have a tablet at a table instead of the 5 different (heavy) books I'd otherwise have to carry around.

      Delete
    2. There will NEVER be a pdf version. It works perfectly at its current size and shape and physical incarnation.

      Delete
    3. I love this decision to keep your book print-only. I love it a lot.

      Delete
    4. There's a sale at lulu right now, use the code: WEEKEND30 today, or if you don't see it in time, i think HOLIDAYS25 is still valid. I finally ordered a copy on Friday for about $26.62 USD shipped.

      Delete
  3. How would you like me to deliver the entries? I've completed the first three of 'C'. I thought it might be wise to give you a chance to look over them and nix any excessive details before I ascend into the statosphere.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me at pjamesstuart at geee mail dot com or bolg them or both.

      Delete